Person- and Family-Centered Healthcare
The MHA Keystone Center recognizes the importance of strong partnerships between healthcare providers, patients, and families. As a foundational concept, the MHA Keystone Center is committed to partnering with hospitals to help advance person- and family-centered care in Michigan. It is through person and family engagement (PFE) strategies, which foster collaboration between patients, families and clinicians to move toward mutually agreed-upon goals, that we build a person- and family-centered healthcare system
The MHA Keystone Center, under the guidance of the MHA Keystone Center PFE Council, developed A Roadmap to Person and Family Engagement, to accelerate the spread of person- and family-centered care. The road map includes recommended policies and practices, which build upon the original Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Partnership for Patients (PfP) PFE Metrics that are fundamental to improved quality of care for patients in hospitals.
The MHA Keystone Center asks that each facility commits to implementing at least two practices per year from the road map, with PFE Metric 4 and the rest of the CMS PfP metrics set as priority for implementation.
Beginning in 2016, Michigan hospitals have worked to develop a patient and family advisory council (PFAC) to better engage patients in their quality improvement work. In addition to establishing or improving hospital PFAC’s, MHA Keystone Center has supported hospital efforts to have patients or family members on hospital quality or safety improvement teams. The MHA Keystone Center would like to congratulate those hospitals (see list below) that have achieved this practice at their organization and have committed to ensuring that the patient and family voice are part of every decision made at their organization. If your hospital has reached this goal, contact us today so that we may recognize your accomplishments and add your organization to the list. For hospitals that are working to achieve this goal, the MHA Keystone Center is here to partner with you and provide the support you need.
- Allegan General Hospital
- Aspirus Iron River Hospitals & Clinics, Inc.
- Aspirus Ironwood Hospital & Clinics, Inc.
- Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital
- Aspirus Ontonagon Hospital
- Baraga County Memorial Hospital
- Beaumont Hospital, Dearborn
- Beaumont Hospital, Farmington Hills
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse Pointe
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak
- Beaumont Hospital, Taylor
- Beaumont Hospital, Trenton
- Beaumont Hospital, Troy
- Beaumont Hospital, Wayne
- Borgess-Lee Memorial Hospital
- Bronson Battle Creek Hospital
- Bronson LakeView Hospital
- Bronson Methodist Hospital
- Bronson South Haven Hospital
- Covenant HealthCare
- DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital & University Health Center
- DMC Harper/Hutzel Hospital
- DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
- Dickinson County Healthcare System
- Eaton Rapids Medical Center
- Garden City Hospital
- Hayes Green Beach Memorial Hospital
- Helen Newberry Joy Hospital
- Henry Ford Allegiance Health
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital
- Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
- Hills & Dales General Hospital
- Hillsdale Hospital
- Holland Hospital
- Hurley Medical Center
- Kalkaska Memorial Health Center
- Lake Huron Medical Center
- Lakeland Hospital, Watervliet
- Mackinac Straits Health System, Inc.
- Marlette Regional Hospital
- McKenzie Health System
- Karmanos Cancer Center
- McLaren Bay Region
- McLaren Caro Region
- McLaren Central Michigan
- McLaren Flint
- McLaren Greater Lansing
- McLaren Lapeer Region
- McLaren Macomb
- McLaren Northern Michigan
- McLaren Port Huron
- Memorial Healthcare
- MidMichigan Medical Center – Alpena
- MidMichigan Medical Center – Clare
- MidMichigan Medical Center – Gladwin
- MidMichigan Medical Center – Gratiot
- MidMichigan Medical Center – Midland
- MidMichigan Medical Center – West Branch
- Munising Memorial Hospital
- Munson Healthcare Cadillac Hospital
- Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital
- Munson Healthcare Grayling Hospital
- Munson Healthcare Manistee Hospital
- Munson Healthcare Paul Oliver Memorial Hospital
- Munson Medical Center
- Oaklawn Hospital
- OSF St. Francis Hospital & Medical Group
- Otsego Memorial Hospital
- ProMedica Bixby Hospital
- ProMedica Coldwater Regional Hospital
- ProMedica Herrick Hospital
- ProMedica Monroe Regional Hospital
- Mercy Health Lakeshore Campus
- Mercy Health Muskegon
- Mercy Health Saint Mary’s
- St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
- St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea
- St. Joseph Mercy Livingston
- St. Joseph Mercy Oakland
- St. Mary Mercy Hospital
- Scheurer Hospital
- Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital
- Sheridan Community Hospital
- Sparrow Carson Hospital
- Sparrow Clinton Hospital
- Sparrow Hospital
- Sparrow Ionia Hospital
- Spectrum Health – Grand Rapids
- Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial
- Spectrum Health Kelsey Hospital
- Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital
- Spectrum Health Pennock
- Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital
- Spectrum Health United Hospital
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital
- Metro Health – University of Michigan Health
- UP Health System – Portage
Last Updated 4/25/2018
Formed in November 2013, The MHA Person & Family Engagement Advisory Council provides guidance and support to the MHA and MHA Keystone Center on the multifaceted efforts to help promote and accelerate the spread of person- and family-centered care across the state. Made up of staff, individual stakeholders and patient advisors, the council ensures the voice of patients and families are incorporated into all initiatives and efforts. The Council also provides a great opportunity for networking, collaboration, and sharing of best practices for members.
In 2018, the MHA formally added the Council under its umbrella to promote and accelerate person and family engagement in Michigan hospitals. The Person & Family Engagement Advisory Council seeks input from patient and family partners, serves as advocates for their needs, and ensures their voice is incorporated into MHA quality and safety initiatives.
Members interested in joining the council, please contact us to learn more.
With the guidance of the MHA Keystone Center PFE Council, the MHA Keystone Center developed a Road Map to PFE which contains 12 recommended policies and practices fundamental to improving the quality of care for patients in hospitals. Hospitals working with the MHA Keystone Center are encouraged to implement a minimum of two new PFE practices a year from the list included in the Road Map.
Supporting Hospitals with PFE Efforts
To support hospitals in their PFE efforts, the MHA Keystone Center offers educational, networking and mentoring opportunities aimed to help spread existing PFE best practices. In addition, the MHA Community site is an online document library that houses educational materials and resources.
MHA Keystone Center members can access PFE resources on the MHA Community.
For more information, contact us.
The MHA Keystone Center is a proud Pinwheel Sponsor of the Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care.