MGHC recognizes the interconnection between human health
and the environment. We support and encourage sustainability
initiatives that improve human and environmental health and
financial performance that strengthen Michigan’s healthcare
- Examine how the design and operation of our health care
facilities impact human, community and environmental health.
- Identify cost savings achieved through sustainability
- Establish annual goals.
- Promote sustainable strategies for healthcare facilities,
- Reduced energy consumption.
- Responsible waste management.
- Healthy, sustainable and local food.
- Safer chemicals.
- Environmental preferable purchasing.
Membership & Communications
- Membership for this committee requires yearly enrollment.
- The committee term runs from the beginning of July to
June of the following year.
- Members will receive communications to keep them informed
about webinars, committee events, and new action items.
Michigan Green Healthcare Annual Conference
The Michigan Green Healthcare Conference is intended for
individuals and organizations interested in promoting sustainability
practices within the healthcare industry. We encourage sustainability
officers, dieticians, clinicians, engineers, architects, pharmacists,
environmental services, food and nutrition, and maintenance
managers, energy coordinators, business partners, governmental
agencies, public health professionals, non-profits, and anyone
else with a passion for reducing the ecological footprint of
the healthcare industry to attend the conference.
The Michigan Green Healthcare Committee is pleased to organize
this event in collaboration with the Michigan Department of
Environmental Quality and the Michigan Health & Hospital
Please review the 2014
event brochure and
sponsorship opportunities for more information.
The 2014 recipients of the Inaugural Michigan Green Healthcare Awards include Beaumont Health System and Colin Murphy, Building Systems and Energy Manager, University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers.
Beaumont Health System was presented the Michigan Green Healthcare Champion Award. This award recognizes the broad impact and sustainability gain Beaumont has made for the organization and its community.
Colin Murphy was presented the Michigan Green Healthcare Hometown Hero Award. This award recognizes how Colin has demonstrated a vision and passion in his role at UMHS and how he inspires others to make a difference.
Thank you to our 2014 sponsors and exhibitors!
- Conference Partner
- Conference Friend
2014 Conference Presentations
Current Action Items
- Healthier Hospitals
- The Healthier Hospitals Initiative, organized by
Health Care Without Harm, Practice Green Health and
The Center for Health Design, is a call-to-action
for an entire industry. The HHI recruits the
nation’s hospitals to participate in any of their
initiatives: Engaged Leadership, Healthier Food,
Leaner Energy, Less Waste, Safer Chemicals and
Smarter Purchasing. The Michigan Green Healthcare
Committee plans to spend the year engaging the MHA
member hospitals to increase their involvement with
HHI. With that, the MHA has signed a letter of
agreement to become a supporting organization for
this initiative. It is the goal of the MGHC to have
60% (80/133) of Michigan hospitals enrolled in at
least one challenge from HHI by 2015.
Participating Michigan hospitals in
- Henry Ford Health System
- Sparrow Hospital – Lansing
- Bronson Methodist Hospital
- Sparrow Specialty Hospital
- Metro Health Hospital
- McLaren Northern Michigan
- Beaumont Hospital Royal oak
- Sparrow Ionia Hospital
- Beaumont Troy Hospital
- Ascension Health – St. John Hospital and
- Beaumont Hospital Grosse Pointe
- Ascension Health – St. John Macomb Hospital
- Vanguard - DMC – Huron Valley Sinai Hospital
- Ascension Health – St. John River District
- Vanguard - DMC – Sinai – Grace Hospital
- Ascension health – Providence Southfield
- Vanguard – Detroit Receiving Hospital &
University Health Center
- Ascension Health – Providence Park Campus
- Vanguard – Children’s Hospital of
- Ascension Health-Borgess Pipp Hospital
- Bronson Battle Creek
- Carson City Hospital
- Charlevoix Area Hospital
- Hurley Medical Center
- Memorial Healthcare
- Spectrum Health-United Hospital
- Ascension Health – s Regional medical
- Vanguard – Rehabilitation Institute of
- Ascension Health – Borgess Lee Memorial
- Vanguard – Harper University Hospital/Hutzel
- Ascension Health – St. Mary’s Medical
Center of Saginaw
- Spectrum Health – Butterworth Hospital
- Vanguard – DMC Surgery Hospital
- Ascension Health – St. Mary’s Standish
- Ascension Health – St. Joseph Hospital
- Spectrum Health – Blodgett Hospital
- Spectrum Health
- McLaren Macomb Hospital
- Ascension Health – Borgess Medical Center
- Sparrow Health System
- Sparrow Clinton Hospital
- Beaumont Health System
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health
- Saint Joseph Mercy-Ann Arbor
- Mercy Hospital Cadillac
- Mercy Hospital Grayling
- Munson Medical Center
- Otsego Memorial Hospital
- Paul Oliver Memorial Hospital
- Spectrum Health-Gerber Memorial Hospital
- Spectrum Health-Reed City Hospital
- Spectrum Health-Kelsey Hospital
- War Memorial Hospital
If you have any questions regarding the Michigan Green healthcare
Committee, please contact
Steven Johnson at
the MHA at (517) 323-3443.