Michigan state law will be updated beginning March 29, 2023, to allow pharmacists to dispense a non-controlled prescription written by a prescriber licensed in another state or province of Canada. Public Act 80 of 2022 defines ‘prescriber’ as a:
- Licensed dentist.
- Licensed Doctor of Medicine.
- Licensed Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery.
- Licensed Doctor of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery.
- Licensed physician’s assistant.
- Licensed optometrist.
- Advanced practice registered nurse.
- Licensed veterinarian.
- Nurse anesthetist.
A pharmacist who dispenses a prescription written by a prescriber licensed in another state or province of Canada must comply with Michigan state law. Pharmacists are not required to determine if an advanced practice registered nurse or physician’s assistant prescriber in another state are authorized under the laws of the other state or province of Canada to issue the prescription.
Members with questions may contact Renée Smiddy at the MHA.