Transgender and gender nonconforming individuals deal with many common fears that can be debilitating. Healthcare providers need to understand the obstacles that this population faces to improve medical care for their patients. The MHA Health Foundation Transgender Healthcare Dignity Model and Certification webinar will assist providers in their awareness of these issues by reviewing:
- The differences between gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, sexual orientation and romantic orientation.
- Understanding personal bias and perception of the differences between gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and sexual and romantic orientation.
- Benefits and examples of providing options for patients in the areas of gender identification, preferred name, legal name and preferred pronouns.
- The differences between the social and medical transition process.
- How providers can make changes to reduce fears of the transgender patient in a medical setting.
The webinar is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 9, and MHA members can join for a single connection fee of $395. MHA members can include up to five participants from the same organization for a connection fee of $1,900. Members should contact Erica Leyko at the MHA to register.
By participating in the Transgender Healthcare Dignity Model and Certification webinar, participants may earn up to 4.0 ACHE Qualified Education Hours toward initial certification or recertification of the Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) designation.