The MHA received media coverage the week of May 8 regarding nurse staffing legislation, healthcare worker shortages, the ending of the COVID-19 public health emergency and more. A joint media statement was published May 11 by the MHA and the Michigan Organization for Nursing Leadership (MONL) immediately following a press conference announcing legislation that would mandate nursing staffing ratios. The statement referenced the potential for the proposed bills to severely harm hospitals and access to important services for patients, if the bills become law.
MHA representatives appearing in published stories include CEO Brian Peters, Executive Vice President Laura Appel and Senior Vice President Sam Watson. MONL President Kim Meeker, RN, BSN, MBA, also appears in a collection of stories on the nurse staffing legislation. Below is a collection of headlines from around the state.
Friday, May 12
- Becker’s Hospital Review: The plan to beat inflation from 64 health system executives
- Gongwer: Pair Of Medical Orgs Push Back On RN Legislation
Thursday, May 11
- MIRS: Bills Limiting Nurses’ Patient Load Opposed by Hospital Association
- Crain’s Grand Rapids Business: Bills would set nurse staffing ratios in Michigan hospitals
- Sinclair Broadcast Group: Reintroduced bills aim to even outpatient assignment load for nurses
- MLive: Nurses say patient limits would improve dangerous hospital conditions
- Michigan Radio: Lawmakers re-introduce bills to set limits on nurse-to-patient ratio
- WLNS-TV: If passed, bill package would create safeguards for Michigan’s nurses
- WNEM-TV: Nurses speak on proposed Safe Patient Care Act
- WDET 101.9FM: Michigan lawmakers, nurses seek more efficient patient assignment limits with proposed bills
- Michigan Business Network: MHA & MONL Issues Joint Statement On Harmful Nursing Legislation Introduced In The Michigan Legislature
Wednesday, May 10
Tuesday, May 9
- Modern Healthcare: Medicaid work requirements plan worries providers
- Bridge: COVID public health emergency ends Thursday, what it means for Michigan
- Michigan Radio: Hospital safety grades declining nationally, Michigan follows the trend
Members with any questions regarding media requests should contact John Karasinski at the MHA.