The MHA has been actively fielding and responding to media requests related to the surge of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, as well as two pieces of legislation that would address the staffing crisis.
House Bill 5523 provides COVID-19 funding for workforce recruitment and retention, monoclonal antibody transfusions and COVID-19 testing in K-12 schools, while Senate Bill 759 would codify a provision that has given hospitals flexibility to appropriately respond to the pandemic; however, the provision is set to expire Jan. 11.
Below is a collection of headlines from around the state that include statements from the MHA, including Brian Peters, CEO, and Adam Carlson, senior vice president, advocacy.
Sunday, Dec. 12
Saturday, Dec. 11
- MLive: Vaccination is only way out, leaders say, and urge shots to help ease stress on hospital system
- WWJ Newsradio 950: Who is filling up the COVID-19 wards at Michigan hospitals?
Friday, Dec. 10
- CNN: We went inside a Michigan hospital in the middle of the latest Covid-19 surge. Here’s what you need to know
- MLive: Michigan ‘just keeping our heads above water’ with COVID surge, officials urge vaccinations
Thursday, Dec. 9
- CNN: Covid-19 patients at this hospital are dying ‘at a rate we’ve never seen die before’ — and it’s taking a toll on health care workers
- Bloomberg: COVID crisis threatens holiday season as hospitals overflow
- MLive: House Republicans propose $1.2B plan to spend federal COVID-19 aid
- Stateline: With Too Few Nurses, It Won’t Take Much to Overwhelm Hospitals This Winter
- MLive: Michigan COVID-19 data for Thursday, Dec. 9: Rural counties seeing highest positivity rates
- The Petoskey News-Review: Health official: Area COVID-19 positivity rates, hospitalizations continue to climb
- WHMI 93.5FM: Hospitals Fight Misinformation As COVID Rates Soar
Wednesday, Dec. 8
- Bridge: Opinion | Michigan health systems need help. Will the Legislature respond?
- Bridge: Michigan House GOP unveils $1.2B plan for COVID tests, monoclonal antibodies
- MiBiz: State lawmakers advance $1.2 billion plan for health provider, COVID-19 support
- The Center Square: House Republicans pitch $1.2 billion health care plan
- Michigan Advance: Michigan House GOP introduces plan for COVID testing, health care workers
- Michigan Radio: Michigan hospitals in crisis with record number of COVID-19 patients: “We don’t have room for furniture anymore.”
- Michigan Radio: Michigan reaches new COVID hospitalization record
- The Detroit News: Michigan House plan aims to boost access to COVID-19 treatments
- MLive: Michigan sets pandemic record for COVID hospitalizations; stretched staffs feel defeated, disheartened
- Chief Healthcare Executive: Some states are struggling with flood of COVID-19 patients in hospitals
Tuesday, Dec. 7
- The Detroit News: Senate OKs bill continuing exemptions for out-of-state health care workers
- WNEM TV5: Proposed legislation could provide much needed relief to hospitals across the state