Posted on March 19, 2018
Advocacy Efforts for Small, Rural Hospitals Continue During State Budget Process
On March 13, Andrea Leslie, president, Spectrum Health United Hospital, Greenville, and Spectrum Health Kelsey Hospital, Lakeview, addressed members of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services about the state’s healthcare budget and the important role small and rural ... Read more
Bona Fide Prescriber-Patient Relationship Bill Moves to Full House
On March 14, the state House Health Policy Committee, chaired by Rep. Hank Vaupel (R-Handy Twp.), reported out House Bill (HB) 5678 to expand the definition of a bona fide prescriber-patient relationship for the purposes of prescribing ... Read more
Member Forum on Workplace Safety Scheduled
Hospitals can be dangerous places to work, and the continual possibility of physical, psychological and emotional harm can contribute to caregiver burnout. Proper planning and training can reduce the risk related to violence, and the MHA is conducting ... Read more
Deadline Approaching for Advancing Safe Care Award Nominations
The MHA is accepting nominations for its new Advancing Safe Care Award until March 30. The award recognizes healthcare teams within MHA-member hospitals who are committed to providing quality care to different patient populations, show evidence ... Read more
The Keckley Report
Myth: There’s a Physician Shortage in the U.S.
“On February 16, 2018, the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) issued this alert:
“The United States is facing a serious shortage of physicians, largely due to the growth and aging of the population and the impending retirements of older physicians ...
“To its credit, the AAMC analysis makes a credible case for the shortage of physicians, but is its dire forecast accurate? A plausible case can be made that it might be overstat[ing] the shortage as a result [of] five trends that are changing the role, scope, and demand for physician services:”
Paul Keckley, March 12, 2018
News to Know
Upcoming events and important healthcare news for the week of March 19:
- The Healthcare Leadership Academy will take place from Monday to Wednesday at the Henry Center for Executive Development, Lansing.
- A webinar on person- and family-engagement (PFE) will take place from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday for members of the Great Lakes Partners for Patients Hospital Innovation Improvement Network.
- The MHA Health Information Technology Strategy Committee will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday at MHA headquarters.
- Part 3 of a four-part webinar series for the Great Lakes Partners for Patients Hospital Improvement Innovation Network, “Reducing Hospital Readmissions,” will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- The 2018 MHA Keystone Center Patient Safety Organization (PSO) annual meeting will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at the JW Marriott in Grand Rapids.
- The MHA Quality & Accountability Committee will meet from 12:30 to 3 p.m. Friday at MHA headquarters, Okemos.
Posted in: Monday Report