Posted on October 31, 2016
OKEMOS, Mich. — The Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA) Keystone Center today released its annual report and video, available at www.mhakeystonecenter.org, quantifying Michigan hospitals’ patient safety and quality advancements. MHA Keystone Center interventions continue to improve healthcare safety and quality by bringing together hospitals and clinical experts to implement evidence-based best practices and foster collaboration among patients, families and clinicians.
“Michigan hospitals have positively changed the way healthcare is delivered in our state and across the nation,” said MHA Chief Executive Officer Brian Peters. “Our members and their dedicated healthcare professionals are focused on achieving high reliability culture, expanding person and family engagement care and leading Michigan communities to better health.”
Highlights of the 2016 report include:
- More than 80,000 events were voluntarily reported to the MHA Keystone Center Patient Safety Organization which guided safety and quality improvement efforts.
- Hospitals in the MHA Keystone: Sepsis collaborative achieved a 4 percent reduction in the sepsis mortality rate from 2014 to 2015.
- 85 percent of Michigan hospitals providing obstetrical services saw a reduction in early elective delivery from July 2015 through August 2016.
- 45 Michigan hospitals sustained a patient fall rate of zero or saw improvement to their rates between July 2015 and August 2016.
- More than 80 percent of Michigan hospitals implemented at least one person and family-engagement policy or recommendation from the MHA Keystone Center PFE Road Map.
- Launched the 10 Things Every Patient in Pain Should Know public awareness initiative which resulted in more than 1.5 million impressions on social media through a multichannel campaign and nationwide Twitter chat on opioids and prescription medications.
Learn more about the MHA Keystone Center and their patient safety and quality improvement work at, www.mhakeystonecenter.org.
About the MHA Keystone Center
The MHA Keystone Center is a nonprofit organization that brings patient safety experts and hospitals together to work in collaborative programs to improve patient safety and healthcare quality and to reduce medical errors. To date, the center has been funded by MHA-member hospitals, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. For more information, visit www.mhakeystonecenter.org. Follow the MHA Keystone Center on Twitter and LinkedIn.
About the MHA
Based in greater Lansing, the MHA advocates in Michigan and Washington, DC, on behalf of healthcare providers and the communities and patients they serve. The MHA is a nationally recognized leader on initiatives that protect and promote quality, cost-effective and accessible healthcare. To learn more, visit www.mha.org. Like the MHA on Facebook, and follow the MHA on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Posted in: News Releases